Breckenridge Lodge - Recipe
Garlic prawns with five spiced pears and black truffle mayonnaise
- 12 Prawns, raw and shelled
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ½ Clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ Cup mayonaise
- 1 Tsp black truffle oil
- 1 Pear
- ½ Tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 100g Mixed lettuce leaves
- 50ml Vinaigrette
- Peel the pear and cut in half removing the stalk and seeds.
- Cut the pear into even 1cm dice
- Heat a pan till hot, add 1 tbsp of oil and then add the diced pear and five spice powder and cook over a moderate heat, moving the pear around so it cooks evenly with the aid of a wooden spoon. Let the pear turn a golden colour
- Cut through a piece to see if it is cooked all the way through, or just try it!
- When the pear is cooked remove from the pan and place in a container in the fridge till required
- Heat a pan on the stove until hot, add 1 tbsp oil then both the prawns and garlic
- Keep the prawns moving around the pan to ensure they cook evenly
- When the prawns start to go slightly pink they are getting close to being cooked. Add 1 tbsp butter.
- When the prawns are cooked take off the stove and place in a clean container
- Mix the salad leaves with the vinaigrette and a pinch of salt
- Arrange the salad evenly between four plates
- Place three prawns on top of each plate of salad
- Sprinkle some of the pear over and around the salad
- Mix the mayonnaise and Truffle oil together and place a spoon on the middle of each plate
Enjoy with a glass of Pinot Gris or Chardonnay!
If you are interested in learning in some of the tricks of the trade, Malcolm is offering cooking classes at the Lodge ...read more
The Lodge has its own organic kitchen garden providing seasonal fruits and vegetables for the menu ...read more